The Apple Pencil is a powerful tool that enhances the drawing and writing experience on compatible iPads. However, like any other electronic device, it requires regular charging to ensure optimal performance.
If you’re unsure about how to charge your Apple Pencil, worry not! In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the various methods and tips to keep your Apple Pencil juiced up and ready for your creative endeavors.
Apple Pencil Charging – Methods and Tips
Before you start charging your Pencil, you need to understand that there are 2 versions of Apple Pencils. Both are unique and connect to specific iPads.
Additionally, they have different modes of charging. Here is a list of both and the iPad compatible with them.
Apple Pencil 2nd Generation
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st gen) – Released on November 7, 2018
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd gen) – Released on November 7, 2018
- iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd gen) – Released on March 25, 2020
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th gen) – Released on March 25, 2020
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd gen) – Released on May 24, 2021
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th gen) – Released on May 24, 2021
- iPad Air (4th gen) – Released on October 23, 2020
- iPad Air (5th gen) – Released on March 18, 2022
- iPad Mini (6th gen) – Released on September 24, 2021
- iPad Pro 11-inch (4th gen) – Released on October 26, 2022
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (6th gen) – Released on October 26, 2022
Apple Pencil 1st Generation
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch (1st gen) – Released on November 11, 2015
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st gen) – Released on November 11, 2015
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch (2nd gen) – Released on June 13, 2017
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd gen) – Released on June 13, 2017
- iPad (6th gen) – Released on March 27, 2018
- iPad Air (3rd gen) – Released on March 18, 2019
- iPad Mini (5th gen) – Released on March 18, 2019
- iPad (7th gen) – Released on September 25, 2019
- iPad (8th gen) – Released on September 15, 2020
- iPad (9th gen) – Released on September 14, 2021
- iPad (10th gen) – Released on October 26, 2022
Method 1 – Using the Magnetic Charging Feature (Apple Pencil 2)
The Apple Pencil comes with a built-in magnetic charging feature that allows it to attach magnetically to the side of compatible iPad models. Follow these steps to charge your Apple Pencil using this method:
- Step 1: Locate the magnetic charging area on your iPad. This is typically on the side of the iPad where you’ll find the charging connector.
- Step 2: Remove the cap from the back of the Apple Pencil to reveal the lightning connector.
- Step 3: Gently insert the lightning connector of the Apple Pencil into the magnetic charging area on the iPad. The magnetic attraction will hold the pencil securely in place.
- Step 4: Wait for the charging indicator to appear on the iPad screen. This indicates that the Apple Pencil is successfully charging.
Method 2 – Using a Lightning Cable (Apple Pencil 1)
In case your iPad model doesn’t have a magnetic charging area, you can charge your Apple Pencil using a lightning cable. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Remove the cap from the back of the Apple Pencil to reveal the lightning connector.
- Step 2: Connect the lightning connector of the Apple Pencil directly to the lightning port of your iPad.
- Step 3: When connected, you should see a charging indicator on the iPad screen, confirming that the Apple Pencil is charging.
Tips for Efficient Charging
- Use an official Apple lightning cable and adapter for charging your Apple Pencil to ensure compatibility and optimum charging speed.
- Avoid charging your Apple Pencil with third-party charging accessories, as they may not provide the necessary power output, leading to slower charging times or potential damage.
- If your Apple Pencil’s battery is completely drained, you can fast-charge it by connecting it to your iPad for about 15 seconds, which provides enough power for up to 30 minutes of use.
Charging your Apple Pencil is a straightforward process, and with the magnetic charging feature and the lightning cable method, you can keep your creative companion ready for use at all times.
By following the tips and guidelines provided in this guide, you can ensure efficient charging and prolonged battery life for your Apple Pencil.
So, never run out of creative inspiration, and keep your Apple Pencil charged and ready to bring your artistic visions to life!
- 2 Ways How to shut down iPad when the screen is frozen
- How to Take A Screenshot on iPad Mini – An Easy Step-by-Step Guide (2023)
How do I know when my Apple Pencil is fully charged?
When your Apple Pencil is fully charged, you'll see a green charging indicator on your iPad screen.
Can I charge my Apple Pencil with a wireless charger?
No, the Apple Pencil does not support wireless charging. It can only be charged through the magnetic charging feature or by using a lightning cable.
How long does it take to charge the Apple Pencil fully?
The charging time for the Apple Pencil may vary depending on the model and charging method. Generally, it takes around 15-20 minutes for a partial charge and about 1 hour for a full charge.
Can I use my Apple Pencil while it's charging?
Yes, you can use your Apple Pencil while it's charging using the lightning cable method. However, the magnetic charging method requires the pencil to be attached to the iPad and prevents simultaneous use.