There are many questions that come to mind when you consider Laptop vs Tablet. Youmust be wondering, whether a tablet can match up to a laptop’s power? Or whether a laptop can maintain its powerful features and still be as portable as a tablet.
Some users also wonder whether adding accessories to their tablets, such as keyboards and a mouse, can result in a versatile multipurpose tablet with laptop-like comfortability.
Tablets are easily portable and comfortable to use. You will use a modern touch sensitive stylus to touch on the tablet screen to use it.
Although not as portable as tablets, laptops are more compact and generally pack more powerful features compared to tablets.
This article will put this discussion and questions to rest. We will explain the differences, pros and cons of each so that you can easily choose the best one for your needs.
Laptops vs Tablets: Features Comparison
Laptops feature an overall Larger and significantly bulkier design. The most common laptop size will range between 13 and 17 inches in size. Tablets on the other hand are more lightweight and easily portable. They come in a very wide range of sizes from as small as 7 inches, 8 inches 10 inches up to as large as 32 inches.
Compared tolaptops, Tablets are simple and will run on operating systems similar to ones you will find in mobile phones. Laptops on the other hand are build to perfom more complex tasks. To match
|Compact, lightweight, and portable||Larger significantly bulkier design.|
|Touch screen, virtual keyboard||Physical keyboard, touchpad, mouse|
|Mobile OS (iOS, Android)||Desktop OS (Windows, macOS, Linux)|
|Limited for basic tasks||Versatile, suitable for multitasking|
|Less powerful, limited storage||More powerful, ample storage|
|Highly portable, ideal for on-the-go||Portable but less so than tablets|
|Longer battery life||Varied, shorter battery life|
|Limited ports, wireless connectivity||Diverse ports and wired options|
|Generally more affordable||Varies, with mid-range to high-end|
Now that we understand the differences between the 2, let us compare the pros and cons of each.
Tablets: Pros and Cons
Tablets have many pros and cons. Below are some of the most important ones.
- Lightweight and Easily Portable
- Good front and rear Cameras
- Cool touch screen and pen system
- Easy to use operating system
- Compatible with Magic keyboards and Mouse to work like a laptop
- Powerful features almost similar to laptops
- Versatile and Multi purpose
- Keyboards are bought separate
- Laptop keyboards are more effective than touchpads
- Built for portability and not powerful performance
Laptops: Pros and Cons
Laptops also have their fair share of pros and cons. Here are the most crucial.
- Faster type input interface thanks to the physical external keyboard.
- Many connectivity slots such as USB and HDMI
- Large non touch sensitive screen
- Each laptop has an inbuilt cooling system to avoid overheating.
- Capable of handling professional and complex tasks
- Comes with a physical keyboard
- Larger laptops are not easily portable
- Shorter battery life compared to tablets
- Few are touch enabled.
Which is better a tablet or a laptop?
If you need a device to perform complex professional tasks, a mid range laptop is more preferable over a tablet. A tablet will be useful for simple tasks such as reading, writing or streaming.
Can a tablet replace a laptop?
Yes, modern tablets come with powerful features and when combined with accessories such as keyboards, will easily susbstitute a laptop.